Managing immediate concerns about the safety of an adult at risk
The safety of the adult at risk is paramount. Therefore:
- a decision should be taken as to whether there are immediate concerns
about an adult’s safety;
- if serious injury has occurred and there is a need for urgent medical
attention call for an ambulance by dialling 999;
- action should be taken to protect the individual from abuse;
- practitioners should contact the police using 999 if there is
imminent danger. They should do this without delay to protect the
adult from the risk of imminent danger;
- consideration should also be given to the immediate safety of others,
individual, children or adults who also may be at immediate risk of
A district nurse is outside the house of an adult patient.
They hear what appears to be the adult being assaulted by a family
member. They phone the police immediately.